Passive House building cuts energy consumption by 60-80 percent compared to code buildings. Certified passive buildings provide superior comfort, indoor air quality, and resilience. As a Passive House Rater (PHIUS+ Rater), Certified Passive House Consultant (CPHC), and PHIUS+ Large Building Verifier, Sustainable Comfort can help you achieve your next Passive House building project of any size. The intent of the Passive House program is to drastically minimize heating and cooling loads to reduce the cost of mechanical equipment. By building an airtight energy efficient home and providing controlled fresh air, Passive Houses can improve comfort and reduce energy bills.
In addition to Passive House design requirements, the follow programs must be met to achieve Passive House Certification.
- ENERGY Star Homes: We will complete the energy modeling and inspections required for the ENERGY STAR program.
- EPA Indoor Air Plus: The EPA Indoor Air Plus program provides high indoor air quality.
- DOE Net Zero Energy Ready Homes: Set up your building as renewable ready for easy retrofit to a DOE Net Zero Energy Ready Home.
Learn more about the Passive House program.
Prior to construction we work with the architect, owner, and builder to make sure the most cost effective solutions are implemented to meet the Passive House requirements. In addition to Passive House design requirements, the follow programs must be met to achieve Passive House Certification.
- Feasibility Study: Early Schematic Design phase we conduct a thorough feasibility study to determine insulation levels and select high level mechanical equipment.
- WUFI Passive Modeling: During design we will help optimize the envelope and details to meet the strict energy modeling requirements of the PHIUS program.
- Design Details: We can help you determine the details you need to incorporate into the plans to ensure success.
- Design Review: Review design for ENERGY STAR Homes, DOE Net Zero Energy Ready Homes, and Indoor AirPlus programs.
Our Raters conduct inspections throughout the construction process to verify designed items are installed properly to achieve the performance intended.
- Open Wall Inspections: Our Raters ensure proper insulation and air sealing in every unit.
- Blower Door Testing: We conduct preliminary and final blower door testing to hit the very difficult air leakage standard.
- Final Inspections: Inspect and test all items installed to meet the Passive House program.
We collect all information and inspection reports and process your Energy Star Certification, Indoor Air Plus Certification, and DOE Zero Energy Ready Homes Certification. We will then submit all the testing and inspection reports required by the Passive House program to ensure your certification.
- Final Certification: Upon completion, we will process all your final certifications.
- Marketing and Publicity: We work with the team to support marketing and publicity efforts to showcase the project.